Friday, March 24, 2017

Is Your Mouth Making You Sick?

Warning Signs and Symptoms of Dry Mouth

Since saliva plays such an important role in the oral cavity, decreased salivation can lead to many problems. If this condition persists for months or years, a patient may develop oral complications such as difficulty swallowing, severe and progressive tooth decay, oral infections (particularly fungal), or combinations of these. As a result, detecting the early signs of dry mouth is critical. The dentist and/or dental hygienist can be instrumental in detecting one of the earliest signs, possibly before the patient is even aware of his or her dry mouth, by observing the amount of saliva pooled under/around the tongue during dental procedures. Little or no pooling of the saliva may indicate the patient is beginning to suffer from dry mouth. Other early signs to look for would be dental decay located at the necks of teeth next to the gums or on the chewing edges of teeth.
I have rampant tooth decay. My teeth are also very soft. They stick together like I have caramel stuck between my upper and lower teeth. It's a very weird feeling. - Brenda Mueller
If you don't have Sjogren's or dry mouth, you still need to keep your appointments with the dentist. The health of your teeth can keep your whole body healthy.

  dental-infographic 

I am conducting research on autoimmune disorders. I have a survey and if you fill it out, I will send you my "10 Day Wellness Journal" as my way of saying "Thank You" for participating.

Take the Survey

No comments:

Post a Comment