Why should you drink green tea?I only drink water and green tea. I love a cup of warm tea. I don't add any sweeteners or any other flavors to it. Green tea is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have powerful effects on the body. This includes improved brain function, fat loss, a lower risk of cancer and many other incredible benefits.
10 Health Benefits of Green Tea
1. Compounds in Green Tea Can Improve Brain Function and Make You SmarterGreen tea contains less caffeine than coffee, but enough to produce an effect. It also contains the amino acid L-theanine, which can work synergistically with caffeine to improve brain function.
2. Lowers Blood Sugar LevelsGreen tea also helps keep blood sugar levels stable in people who suffer from diabetes. The compounds polyphenols and polysaccharides present in green tea can be useful for both types of diabetes.
3. Reduces Cholesterol LevelsGreen tea can also effectively reduce bad cholesterol in the blood and improve the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol.
4. Promotes Oral HealthGreen tea consumption is associated with improved dental health and a lower risk of cavities. The natural fluoride in green tea, polyphenols and catechins can effectively kill the bacteria that cause tooth decay, bad breath, cavities and various gum diseases. The oral benefits of green tea are lost when sugar, honey, or other sweeteners are added to the tea.
5. Helps Maintain Body WeightSeveral studies have proven that a cup of green tea daily can reduce body fat, especially in the abdominal area. It can also significantly decrease body fat percentage, body weight and waist circumference.
6. Prevents Hair LossGreen tea is packed with antioxidants that help prevent hair loss and can also promote hair re-growth. The polyphenol catechins in green tea help block DHT, which is the key factor for hair loss.
7. Fights Against AgingThe antioxidants, especially those known as polyphenols, in green tea help protect the skin from harmful free radicals. In fact, polyphenols help fight against various signs of aging, promote longevity, and treat skin diseases.
8. Lowers Blood PressureRegular consumption of green tea is thought to reduce the risk of high blood pressure. It helps keep blood pressure down by repressing angiotensin, which leads to high blood pressure.
9. Reduces the Risk of CancerMultiple studies show that the numerous antioxidants in green tea may lower the risk of various types of cancer like breast, prostate, colorectal, pancreatic, esophageal, bladder, lung, and stomach cancer. In fact, the antioxidants in green tea are 100 times more effective than vitamin C and 24 times better than vitamin E.
10. Keeps Bones StrongThe high fluoride content in green tea helps maintain bone strength. Regular consumption of green tea is associated with a lower risk of osteoporotic fractures. Read more...
What are Polyphenols?Polyphenols are compounds found abundantly in natural plant food sources that have antioxidant properties. There are over 8,000 identified polyphenols found in foods such as tea, wine, chocolates, fruits, vegetables, and extra virgin olive oil, just to name a few. Polyphenols play an important role in maintaining your health and wellness.